Re: poll: switching our development platform

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: poll: switching our development platform
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 18:00:21 -0400

On Apr 15, 2020, at 15:44, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> To conclude, I believe we should choose one of Gerrit and GitLab and
>> have a trial to see if the processes can be carried over. (If not, we
>> can still give the other platform a try.)
>
> IIRC, Gerrit was not really tracking issues and thus would be a fill-in
> rather just for the Rietveld part of our current setup rather than also
> covering the SourceForge angle.  Do I remember wrong here?

You remember rightly.  From [1]:

> Disadvantages
> Gerrit lacks an issue tracker or integrated CI solution
>
> Gerrit lacks "community" features, such as Wiki, @mentions, etc.
>
> Gerrit as hosted by GerritForge requires a GitHub account. If this is
> an issue, I volunteer to manage a self-hosted Gerrit instance.
>> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2020-02/msg00408.html

MHO: Gerrit would be change without progress.  I'd rather continue using a set
of tools that is flawed but familiar.

I don't object to switching to GitLab if it meets others' requirements.  (And I
hope I don't end up being the tie-breaker that disappoints half the
contributors.)
—
Dan