Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 01:30:28 +0100

On Sun, Jan 1, 2023 at 11:16 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

>  Its image operator doesn't have
> support for transparency on some pixels and not others.

So you're worried about PS with embedded pixels coming from maybe a PNG not
roundtripping correctly back to PNG when transparency is involved?
And you're saying the reason users would do it this way is because there is
no support in lilypond for embedded pixel rasters except via EPS?

If this is all you're worried about, why not just support a command to
inject a raster image and a separate one supporting postscript images
and have the latter support transparency when coming from vector graphics
only? (I seem to recall this was also suggested, but I did not
appreciate the meaning of the difference at the time)

The use case that was discussed earlier in this thread, where a user might
want to embed a publisher's logo in a pdf would
appear to be most relevant when the file to be embedded is vector graphics,
and I do agree with who it was who brought it up
that it would be disappointing to find it auto-rasterized magically (was it
Harm maybe?). Also I've been asking myself what reference
resolution would that use? How will a user control it?

Luca Fascione