Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 19:00:49 +0100 (CET)

   De : Han-Wen Nienhuys <[1]hanwenn@gmail.com>

   À : Jean Abou Samra <[2]jean@abou-samra.fr>

   CC : Jonas Hahnfeld <[3]hahnjo@hahnjo.de>, lilypond-devel
   <[4]lilypond-devel@gnu.org>

   Date : 06/01/2023 18:53 CET

   Sujet : Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

   On Sun, Jan 1, 2023 at 12:36 PM Jean Abou Samra <[5]jean@abou-samra.fr>
   wrote:

   Le 30/12/2022 à 13:08, Jean Abou Samra a écrit :

   which means figuring out how to do PNGs via the default PS

   backend and GS.

     I looked a bit at this.

   It's not insurmountable, *but*, alpha transparency is not going

   to work.

   transparency doesn't work today either in the PS backend, the

   stencil-expressions.ly regtest looks different in Cairo and the

   classic backend. See commit 103ca4c38061754f612880bcc7c29b4fd5acb8f6.

   Yes. However, you don’t get a transparent
   color without having explicitly asked for it. On the
   other hand, if we have this discrepancy that the PS
   backend draws PNG images on a white background
   while the Cairo backend makes the transparent parts
   really transparent, we have one more incompatibility
   that people will need to pay attention to when switching
   to Cairo. That’s why I prefer making all backends default
   to a white background.