Re: barline problem

From: Dewdman42
Subject: Re: barline problem
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:35:57 -0700 (PDT)

ok, ran an experiment.  for whatever its worth...  Overture produced very
clean and decent looking PDF files.  No aliasing or weird artifacts.
Finale2006 produced crapola...even worse than lilypond.  I wonder what the
difference is?  I'm guessing that somehow the finale PDF and Lilypond PDF
are encoded in such a way that you can print those PDF's to a high
resolution printer and get excellent results.  But somehow their collection
of vectors does not display well at lower 72dpi resolution in PDF viewers.
For whatever the reason, the pdf produced from Overture looks just fine in
PDF viewer, but I doubt its print is as good as Finale or Lilypond.
(Shrug)??  However I zoomed the Overture PDF in to 200% and 400% and it
still looked great.  It looked great and evenly great at all resolutions.

By the way, I used pdf995 to produce the PDF's from Finale and Overture (and
that other guitar tab program I sometimes use).

The point of this post is that it *IS* possible to get better looking music
notation in PDF form.  The PDF viewer is not neccessarily the limiting
factor.  My believe is that finale and Lilypond are perhaps leaning too
heavily on postscript, and expecting the PDF readers to sort it out at view
time..while overture is probably not using poscript directly in the program,
but rather relying on the print driver to generate what works best.  Same
with my guitar tab program.  Hence, the pdf995 can produce a quality PDF in
both of those two cases, but with Finale and lilypond suffer in this area.

Again, maybe there is some setting somewhere, but I think this probably
related more to the fact that lilypond is postscript in its core.