Re: Cross-staff chords

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Cross-staff chords
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:58:22 +0200

Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2007 schrieb Trevor Bača:
> Unfortunately, I know of no better way to create cross-staff chords
> than the documentation you point to in the manual.
>
> I'm just finishing a score with cross-staff chords, so I know what
> you're going through.

Yes, it's particularly bad, as one of the "official" sample files for
MusicXML, as provided at http://recordare.com/xml/samples.html (Faure's Après
un rêve: http://recordare.com/xml/samples/FaurReveSample.pdf) uses
cross-staff chords heavily.

It's really unfortunate that lilypond does not support them, as these sample
files are usually the benchmark to measure perceived ability to import
MusicXML files... The current result is basically just missing the
cross-staff chords, everything else if converted just fine:
http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/temp/MusicXML_Recordare_Samples/lily-0a010e732c.png

> If any of the developers are looking for a
> sponsored project, I would be happy to help sponsor this improvement
> at some point in the future.

I would also welcome cross-staff chords in Lilypond!

Cheers,
Reinhold