Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:25:57 -0600

On 6/9/09 9:16 AM, "Jean-Alexis Montignies" <address@hidden> wrote:

> You can find an example of a chord notated as 'phrygian' (well it's more a
> modal indication, but that's what the composer Gary Peacock intended) in the
> lead sheet for Vignette.
> More arguments for using names: Alt is much more easy to write and read, less
> error prone than: 7.3-.5-.9-.11-.13-

So if Alt is always (or primarily) 7.3-.5-.9-.11-.13- we should add an alt
modifier to LilyPond.  Then, we could say c:alt, and get just what the
composer intends.  And then we should have the ChordNames context generate
CAlt.

I'm not arguing that the list of modifiers is currently complete or
sufficient.  Certainly we could add modifiers to make things easier.  I
haven't pursued that idea yet, because I haven't needed it for my work.

But as I said before, if anybody wants to create a chordname input mode that
takes a root, and arbitrary name string, and an optional added bass, they're
welcome to do so.

Carl