Re: Beamed grace notes across another pair of beamed notes

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Beamed grace notes across another pair of beamed notes
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:22:50 +0100

Jebus wrote Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:21 PM

My first inclination was to try it as two voices and shrink the size of the second voice down, when I did this, all the small notes were to the left of the large ones. Now call me anal, but I really wanted to move them over to
the right, so I tried to shift them over using force-hshift.

It can be really frustrating to move notes
horizontally when LilyPond places them where
you don't want them!  If the standard techniques
don't work, and there is only the odd corner that
is irritating, sometimes this hack is useful.  But
it's pretty well last-ditch territory.  (If there's
a better way to do this, please post it :)

Essentially you need to tell LilyPond the notes
you want to move to the right occur later, without
changing the appearance of the music.  You can
do this by inserting extra skips and compensating
by reducing the value of the note being moved,
like this:

\relative c'' {
<<
  {
    aes8 aes4 f8 d4
    bes8. bes16
  } \\
 {
   \override NoteHead #'font-size = #-3
   \override Beam #'thickness = #0
   aes'4.
   % Fiddle the timing to position notes
   s4 s8 s8.*1/3
   d,8.*2/3[ s16*2/3 f16*1/3]

Fiddle the numbers to get something pleasing.
Note, though, that this would screw up the midi
and you wouldn't want to do it often.

Trevor