Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:39:26 +0200

Il 24/08/2012 22:12, Davide Liessi ha scritto:

The main meaning of "estensore" is "something that extends something
else" (also in anatomy) which seems better, but still isn't perfect: a
spanner _does not_ extend something over notes, it is _itself_
extended; however it could be acceptable, since one could think of the
spanner as a tool extending _a mark_ over notes.

I can see the difference but I think that the second interpretation works anyway.

So in the end I am left with "indicazione estesa" (Gianluca D'Orazio,
"extended mark/indication") and "oggetto esteso" (Francisco Vila,
"objeto de extensión", "extended object"), that both have the right
meaning in our context.
The former is more precise, but the latter sounds better to my ear.

I'd really like to have one word, because the word spanner is often used along with the actual object which spans and a three (or more) word expression would be quite "heavy".

Also I'd like to use a word which gives the idea of an action, as in english: spanner -> something which spans

So I would use "estensore" or keep it untranslated.
What do you prefer?

Thanks for the feedback!
--
Federico