Re: note collision when in a chord there is a second above or below an u

From: Davide Bonetti
Subject: Re: note collision when in a chord there is a second above or below an unison
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 19:24:23 +0100

Il 13/01/2019 00:46, Carl Sorensen ha scritto:

I think that Lilypond does the right thing.

Thank you for your opinion, but I think a collision is not a right thing.

There should never be a unison and a second in a chord.

I know that is not a very common situation. I'll show you two examples.

The notes of the Dsus4 chord on a ukulele are, in absolute notation:  g' d' g' a'

The resulting chord is: <d' g' g' a'> ; as you can see, is a chord with a second above an unison.

The Ebsus4 chord has the following notes: as' es' as' bes' ; a second above an unison, both with accidentals.

In the cluster of whole notes without a stem, it seems harmless enough to move the notehead.  But if this same chord had a stem (e.g., half-note or shorter), you’d see that moving the notehead away to eliminate the collision also takes it away from the stem, which is musically wrong.

To properly show the notes in your example in a half-note chord, you will need two stems, which means you need two voices.  And if it is needed for half notes, it is also needed for whole notes, at least in my opinion.

Take a look at this examples, in the snippets:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/snippets/simultaneous-notes#simultaneous-notes-displaying-complex-chords

 To get what you want, you can manually move the note head with its associated accidentals.  I believe that is the proper approach, since it is inconsistent with standard engraving techniques.

Yes, I have found the solution for now, moving the note head and its associated accidentals.

I'd like however to know where in the code is the placement of the note in a chord, just to experiment.

regards

Davide

Sincerely,

Carl