Re[4]: Use of \vspace and \hspace

From: Trevor
Subject: Re[4]: Use of \vspace and \hspace
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 20:28:10 +0000

Valentin, you wrote 20/01/2019 18:12:07

On 1/20/19, Trevor <address@hidden> wrote:
 "Text markup introduction" in Section 1.8.2 looks like the obvious
 place.

Well, not exactly. As the introduction to "Formatting text", it
describes what markup mode is, but not _where_ or _why_ markup blocks
exist. (Hence the OP’s question.)
That separate question should ideally be dealt with in 1.8.1 (at
least, that was the idea; you may remember that I was the one who
rewrote this whole chapter in 2008, when the User Manual became the
Notation Reference thanks to Graham :-)

This snippet could, for example, appear at the top of 1.8.1, right
before we delve into the specifics of "Text scripts", "Text marks" and
so on. However, just before that (one level higher), I added the
following sentence at the time:
"""
Some text elements that are not dealt with here are discussed in other
specific sections: Vocal music, Titles and headers.
"""
So you see my predicament: I’d have to move this sentence (or remove
it entirely), and possibly add a new ununmberedsubsection at the top
of 1.8.1. Would it make sense to you?
You're right; because \markup can be used in so many different places
and ways a new unnumberedsubsection devoted to it is probably the
best way to give an overview. Specific examples can then appear anywhere
else in the manual, like it does in the snippet in "Separate text" (one of
mine, I think :)

Trevor