Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for we

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:00:52 +0000

On Sun, 2020-10-25 at 12:39 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> > I've never been sure why someone hasn't shown an interest in doing
> > that...
>
> How is that better than using the Frescobaldi MIDI input?

Well, I may need educating here, but it seems to be limited to entering
the LilyPond syntax for notes played on a MIDI keyboard, and limited to
all sharps or all flats at that. The note entry system for Denemo
allows you to enter rhythms at the pc keyboard which show up as
pitchless notes in the display and then play notes on the MIDI keyboard
which are assigned to the previously entered rhythms. It's like the
"Step Entry" systems of the GUI programs but you aren't limited to one
rhythmic value at a time, you can enter a whole bar or system or
movement of rhythms and just start playing in the notes on your
keyboard. Generally, entering rhythms can be done rhythmically (e.g.
two key presses for a dotted rhythm, three for a triplet) which helps
keep your place when transcribing.

That's the basic idea, but there are some frills - you can enter slurs
along with the notes without breaking rhythm and you can just play the
MIDI notes if the note values are the same for long stretches. And you
can take advantage of bars with the same rhythmic pattern etc. And for
tonal music you get to choose a range of accidentals that makes sense
and get warned if you play a diminished interval which is usually the
first sign that you have entered e.g. D-sharp for E-flat.

Richard