Re: Controlling bar to note spacing on final measure

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Controlling bar to note spacing on final measure
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 11:04:41 -0500

Hi Matthew,

> Would there be a programmatic way to control the spacing of the final bar to
> the final note?

If I understand correctly, all of the BarLine spacing-alist parameters control
spacing *after* the barline.

> At the moment, I just use s4 or s4. just to add a tiny bit of space so it
> doesn't feel as cramped.

Well, as always, there are lots of different ways to clothe this particular cat…

1. spacers (as you’ve done)

2. increase the BarLine.extra-spacing-width [backwards]

3. increase the NoteHead.extra-spacing-width [forwards]

4. apply Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.padding

etc.

Each has pros and cons.
Ultimately, I prefer something other than adding a spacer… but YMMV.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info