Re: struggling to get horizontal space on the page exactly proportional

From: Sam Roberts
Subject: Re: struggling to get horizontal space on the page exactly proportional to time
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:00:51 -0700

> That's similar to demanding that poetry has to have multiple lines with
> syllables in the same metric position of different verses horizontally
> aligned.  That would make actually reading the poem harder, not easier.
> In a similar way, interfering with the natural flow of music symbols in
> a manner as rigid as that would make reading music harder.
>
> Text processing programs don't really offer to do that kind of
> alignment of poems, and LilyPond doesn't reall offer to do that reliably
> with music.

I'd have found learning iambic pentameter easier if poems were aligned
;-), but I take your point, this isn't how people typeset music.

The strict-note-spacing got me as close I need.

Fwiw, attached is the music from my guitar book, and the version I
typeset with lilypond. Comparing the two might clarify why I'm trying
to do something so untraditional.

I've been learning greensleeves for 6 weeks, and its only after
resetting it that I realized the piece has an A/B/A/B line structure,
with the two A lines having only tiny variations.

Probably people with any musicality or who can hum the tune from
memory (not me!), would know this intuitively.

Thanks for all your help,
Sam