Re: Multiple versions of Lilypond?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Multiple versions of Lilypond?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:33:59 -0700

On 2021-10-23 3:58 pm, Kira Garvie wrote:
What I was told is that there are some features on the back-end of the
program that turns the Lilypond scores into manipulatable scores for the company that doesn't play well with some of the newer updates to Lilypond. So I can have more than one Lilypond program downloaded, my computer won't
care?

The only issues would be if the installer modifies global or shared aspects of the OS environment.

On Windows, for instance, only one version of LilyPond can be associated with .ly files at a time. The most recently installed version would trump priors, unless you specifically disable file association during installation. If you never double-click .ly files to compile them, then none of this matters. If you do, then you would need to be careful when installing other versions to preserve the existing association. And should the association get altered, you would need to manually re-associate with the desired version.

-- Aaron Hill