Re: irrational meters

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: irrational meters
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:23:12 +0000

From: Mark Knoop <mark@opus11.net>
To: H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@qfbox.info>
Cc: <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Sent: 18/01/2023 8:22

Perhaps one should define "correctly" before assuming impossibility. By
any definition of correctly which makes sense in this context (i.e.
precise rhythmic execution), it is arguably equally impossible to play
music in a *dyadic* meter correctly.

Agreed.  In any case the impossibility assumes that a numeric tempo has been assigned using a rational note-value as base.  Also, it's only really an issue if the numerator of the signature is irrational, not the denominator.

As for alternatives, I suppose dyadic will do; but irregular is certainly wrong - there is no reason for an irrational tempo to be irregular, in fact, anything that can be expressed as a time signature is being given a regular definition.

Finally, if we're appealing to ancient meanings and etymology, consider the use of irrational in Greek and Latin prosody to mean the use of quantities which are not correctly part of the metre - I think that would transfer nicely to the musical use.

Anyway, I'm more exercised by people who talk about their weight when they mean their mass!

Paul