Re: irrational meters

From: David Zelinsky
Subject: Re: irrational meters
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:27:47 -0500

Silvain Dupertuis <silvain-dupertuis@bluewin.ch> writes:

> It is better not to confuse a /fraction/ (as an expression) and it's
> /value/ (as a /number/) ­­— a number cannot have a numerator or a
> denominator!

Well, a *rational* number does have a well-defined denominator: Because
of unique factorization of the integers, there is a unique
representation of a rational number as n/d where n and d are integers
with no common factor and d is positive.  Now if we wanted to think
about time signatures N/D where N and D are elements of, say the
integers with the square root of -5 adjoined, that's another matter.
Any takers, you composers out there?  :)

-David