lmi

Re: [lmi] Re: FW: LMI Help Proposal

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Re: FW: LMI Help Proposal
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 01:46:48 +0200

On Fri, 19 May 2006 07:54:46 -0400 "Ericksberg, Richard" <address@hidden> wrote:

ER> On 2006-5-18 14:56 UTC, Greg Chicares wrote:
ER>
ER> > What should right-clicking a text control do? Look at
ER> > some ms apps and you'll see why I ask this in the
ER> > "What's This?" context.
ER>
ER> 3 distinct MS Behaviors found:
ER>
ER>   Word, Excel and PowerPoint
ER>     Do nothing.
ER>
ER>   Publisher, Outlook, InfoPath (and interestingly LMI also)
ER>     Give the pop-up with:
ER>       Undo
ER>       Cut
ER>       Copy
ER>       Paste
ER>       Select All
ER>
ER>   Access
ER>     Gives the "What's This?" pop-up and provides the yellow-box Help.

 The behaviour which I proposed can be seen in standard Windows dialogs
themselves, see e.g. the "Properties" dialog of any file in Explorer and so
I still think it's the most standard one. For the record, it was:

        Show help for readonly text controls but show the standard
        menu for the other ones.

ER> Best solution would be to add "What's This?" as another entry at the
ER> end of the Undo et al pop-up.

 This might be better but such approach has an important drawback: we can't
modify the existing standard menu so we'd have to recreate it. This is not
complicated (in fact wx already does it) but it's not very good because it
means that we don't profit from any improvements/enhancements to the native
text control menu. E.g. because of the wx (IMO bad and I want to change it)
current behaviour, we don't see "Right to left" and "Unicode"-related items
in the popup menu of the rich edit text controls under Windows XP/2003
currently.

 So I'd hesitate to recommend overriding the standard Windows menu. Maybe
we can somehow add the item to the existing menu but I don't know how to do
this and would need some time to find out. If we have this time and I can,
indeed, find the solution, then I think Rick's proposal is the best. If not
I'd like to argue for the last time in favour of staying with the standard
Windows behaviour.

 Thanks,
VZ