lmi

Re: [lmi] Terse list of valuable projects

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Terse list of valuable projects
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:01:56 +0000

Seems like a good time to update this. If I don't comment on an item,
that indicates it's not a high priority right now (but I don't want
to delete items now and then need to re-add them later).

On 2008-10-29 13:26Z, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Fund selection
>   http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?104481

Eventually we'll need this. Tentatively, we hope to address it in the
second half of next year.

> Integrate lmi with other systems
>   expand capabilities of lmi command-line program
>   refactor: e.g., emit all output via 'emit_ledger.cpp'
>
> Configurable group roster showing input and values
>   http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?105595

This is toward the top of end users' wish lists. It's a census-manager
function, so it's related to "Revamp census manager" below.

> Write a schema for every xml file
>
> Use PETE more broadly: grep -w ET *.?pp
>
> Setup and installation
>   cvsgrab in 'install_msw.sh'? or svn?
>   offer msw binaries via savannah ftp
>     cf. http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/README
>
> Convert product files to xml
>   (serves as an alternative to narrative product specs)
>   unify files that are now separate {.db4 .fnd .pol .rnd .tir}
>   revamp product editor accordingly

Coming soon.

> SOA rate tables: use xml rather than binary
>   thus, replace 'actuarial_table*.?pp'
>   add a GUI; integrate into product editor
>   tables are free; schema isn't, so we can't use it:
>     http://64.49.242.57:8080/xtbml/jsp/index.jsp

This would be very nice to have, and it is a logical successor to the
immediately preceding item.

> 'skeleton' trunk
>   judiciously update with changes from production trunk
>   expand automated GUI testing
>   revisit http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?104428
>
> Output
>   automate xsl testing, in particular xsl-fo
>   refactor xsl along with product files
>   merge 'ledger_xml_io2.cpp' back into 'ledger_xml_io.cpp'
>     and 'ledger_text_formats.?pp' with 'ledger_formats.xml'

[I think that "merge" subitem has already been completed.]

>   revamp calculation summary etc. (partly done)
>   spreadsheet output: http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?105597
>   pdf menu item: https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?105907
>
> Augment system documentation
>   partition into subsystems and document each
>   add 7702 and 7702A documentation
>   validate 'doxygen' documentation
>
> Reimplement 7702 and 7702A
>   also add a GUI for validating other systems
>   also revamp tax-basis calculation

Work begun last year will resume soon.

> Enable menu items and toolbar buttons consistently [in progress]
>   https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?104430

Is this actually "in progress"?

> Revamp census manager
>   direct drill-down editing in a grid control
>     https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?105977
>   include https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?104480

This is the greatest GUI improvement we could make. End users have
been asking for it for years. I've never worked with the wx grid
control, so this is beyond my personal capabilities.