lmi

Re: [lmi] PreviewFrameEx questions

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] PreviewFrameEx questions
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 13:05:17 +0200

On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 00:25:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 7/28/22 00:34, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:10:53 +0000 Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> And I'm not sure whether end users ever use this facility.
GC> >
GC> >  As an alternative to removing it, what about disabling it in one release
GC> > and seeing if anybody complains? If nobody does, it would seem to be that
GC> > nobody would regret it being removed neither...
GC>
GC> Apparently some end users employ
GC>   File | Print preview | Print
GC> as an antishortcut for
GC>   File | Print

 Detour?

GC> . We plan to disable it, explaining that it's unnecessary anyway
GC> and can fail due to a particular msw configuration.

 FWIW I often use the same, longer, sequence myself because it allows you
to check that things look roughly correctly before printing. Of course, I
don't (always) print to a PDF file, where you don't lose much by reprinting
the document again if it comes out wrong. And the advantage of using
"Preview" is that it shows quickly inside the application itself which is,
again, not the case in lmi.

 BTW, I think the lack of feedback (there are messages in the status bar,
but they're not very visible nor informative) during printing is not great,
especially because I expect that actual illustrations may take quite a bit
longer to print than the toy ones I'm testing with.

GC> At the same time, I think we should disable
GC>   File | Page setup
GC> which I guess is useless. I see "Lorem ipsum",

 Sorry, I must be missing something obvious here, but where do you see it?
Could it be a Wine thing? Under MSW I see a fine-looking page setup dialog.

GC> and I can't even guess what happens if anyone uses the dialog to
GC> attempt to print a PDF illustration in landscape orientation.

 Well, currently exactly the same thing as when you try to print in
portrait orientation, as we don't use any page setup parameters when
printing to PDF. We could, in principle, but if nobody complained about not
being able to do it so far, it's probably not an especially crucial
feature.

 Regards,
VZ