lmi

Re: [lmi] PreviewFrameEx questions

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] PreviewFrameEx questions
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 03:11:36 +0000

On 8/11/22 11:05, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 00:25:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> On 7/28/22 00:34, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> GC> > On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:10:53 +0000 Greg Chicares
> <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> GC> [...]
> GC> >
> GC> >  As an alternative to removing it, what about disabling it in one
> release
> GC> > and seeing if anybody complains? If nobody does, it would seem to be
> that
> GC> > nobody would regret it being removed neither...
> GC>
> GC> Apparently some end users employ
> GC>   File | Print preview | Print
> GC> as an antishortcut for
> GC>   File | Print
>
>  Detour?

Now that I have 100 Mbps fiber instead of the old 6 Mbps DSL,
I'll be able to look up my own antonyms. Maybe we can work
"circumbendibus" into the release notes.

>  BTW, I think the lack of feedback (there are messages in the status bar,
> but they're not very visible nor informative) during printing is not great,
> especially because I expect that actual illustrations may take quite a bit
> longer to print than the toy ones I'm testing with.

A progress dialog appears when a whole census is printed with
  Census | Print case to PDF
and presumably also with
  Census | Print case
. For an individual illustration, I imagine the PDF is enqueued
on a print server immediately (in a corporate office at least).

> GC> At the same time, I think we should disable
> GC>   File | Page setup
> GC> which I guess is useless. I see "Lorem ipsum",
>
>  Sorry, I must be missing something obvious here, but where do you see it?
> Could it be a Wine thing? Under MSW I see a fine-looking page setup dialog.

I saw an appropriate page-setup dialog, which displayed a page
containing "Lorem ipsum..." rather than an illustration.

But now I've disabled that dialog, so no user will see anything.