lout-users

Re: More with Diagrams?

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: More with Diagrams?
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:23:12 +0300

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:09:12 +0400, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> The kind of diagrams that I'm interested can be seen in
>
>       http://fare.tunes.org/tmp/implement1/
>
> It's mostly your usual commutative diagrams, except that I need a
> variety of neatly different arrows to express visually several
> facts:

> * some functions are deterministic, some are non-deterministic
>  (I like "waved" vs "straight" arrows for that).
[...]

See section 9.10 "Expert usage: defining new shapes" in the User's
Guide.

> * I like being able to keep the same inter-element spacing
>  among several figures, even though sizes differ.

You can do the layout manually, or you can use a table to place the
nodes of a diagram or you can place nodes using an invisible shape
(see an example at the very end of section 9.6).

> * the produced eps or pdf are very big - it looks like they include
>  font information or some such; this might make the file very big
>  when there are lots of figures. Could there be a way to share font
>  data betweeen different .eps figures?

Well, that's a DSC question, not directly related to Lout.  You can
"factor out" the diag procset and the fonts you use and move them into
prologue/setup of the enclosing document.  This should be doable with
psutils and some small custom scripts to shuffle things around as you
need.

SY, Uwe