Re: [Ltib] building multiple platforms, rpm cache

From: Mike Goins
Subject: Re: [Ltib] building multiple platforms, rpm cache
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:58:19 -0400

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Mike Goins
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to build specific configurations in ltib under continous
> integration system using the command:
> ./ltib --batch --clobber --preconfig config/platform/iolite/defconfig-Iolite
> (I know that platform does not exist in ltib yet, but bear with me)
>
> Then I may have to build for another platform, so I argue another
> platform after that:
> ./ltib --batch --clobber --preconfig config/platform/mpc8377/defconfig-8377
>
> The first step I see that it removes all the rpms, caches those in a
> directory, looks a time-stamp, and builds the new platform.
>
> So far so good, it seems.  But when I switch back to the original platform:
> ./ltib --batch --clobber --preconfig config/platform/iolite/defconfig-Iolite
>
> The rpm removal does not take place and the cached rpms are not used.
> I can't quire figure out what I am missing.  Is --preconfig the
> correct argument for this?
>
> I looked at bin/autobuild_ltib to see how it does it, but it appear
> that it expects a separate copy of ltib for each platform config.  I
> just can't find a good way to integrate that method into a ci system.
>
> Thanks

I wrote a fix for this by allowing rpmdir and rootfs to be argued in
on the command line.  This allows multiple platforms to be in the same
project.

ls -1 ltib/
README
RELEASE_INFO
rootfs
rootfs_sapphire
rpm
rpm_sapphire
tmp

It takes a long time for our large ltib to build the exact same rpms
(developer time).   This is fixed by using bfiles extension to
mercurial and putting the rpm/RPMS folders under binary control.  When
a developer checks out the upper level project, bfiles auto pulls [my
pre-built] binary rpms.  When ltib gets run, the rootfs gets populated
directly from the rpms which takes just a couple of minutes.

# normal behavior
./ltib --batch --clobber --preconfig config/platform/iolite/defconfig-Iolite

# separate rpm and rootfs
./ltib --batch --clobber --preconfig
config/platform/mpc8377_Sapphire/defconfig-8377_Sapphire --rpmdir
rpm_sapphire --rootfs rootfs_sapphire

Now it fits nicely into continuous integration.