lwip-members

RFC (Was: Re: [lwip-members] Branching on friday)

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: RFC (Was: Re: [lwip-members] Branching on friday)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:52:11 +0100

Hello all,

- I created a "STABLE-0_6_0" branch.
- Release postponed, outstanding issues??

Adam Dunkels wrote to me:

> Do you think the current sources are in a stable enough condition to be
> released as a stable 0.6.0 release? I think there is quite a few things
> to do before the first 0.6.0 release can be made.

I thought we were stable as could be. Of course, your latest TCP fix made
me scare away from that thought. :-)

In fact, I created a "STABLE-0_6_0" branch half an hour ago. "stable",
in my view, says something about the source code tree, not the actual
behaviour of the software. I.e. fixes only, no development work there.

Let's use this tree to fix outstanding issues before we release 0_6_0,
or maybe 0_6_1.

Could everyone pls. indicate what issues you think are still outstanding
before we release anything as 0.6.x?

FYI, on the development (main)  tree, I will continue development on ARP:
1) link-layer independency
2) multiple interface support, one table per link
3) improved queueing

and then I will add support for a particular non-Ethernet link medium.

> What about releasing a 0.5.9 or a release candidate instead?

Since CVS is already tagged with 0_6_0, I would opt for the latter.
But a file release is needed, as there are people still downloading
the 0.5.3 tar.gz, which has many issues.

Regards,

Leon Woestenberg.