Re: [GMG-Devel] [movim] What are you expecting for Movim? / Quels usages

From: Genghis Khan
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] [movim] What are you expecting for Movim? / Quels usages prévoyez vous pour Movim ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:00:52 +0100

Hello Christopher,

I have forwarded your message to Movim.

‎תאריך: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 10:39:31 -0600
 ‎מאת: Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden>

> Hiya,
>
> I'm somewhat hesitant to do a crossposting across list, but it does
> make sense this time I suppose. :)
>
> This is the first time I have heard of Movim. It looks very cool!
> I'm a big fan of XMPP and am very supportive of the idea of XMPP-based
> federation. If it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to target
> towards solidarity with certain other projects, that's probably the
> route I would have wanted to go for federation and MediaGoblin.
>
> On that note, we're probably targeting more toward pump.io than
> statusnet in its implementation of OStatus (or wherever OStatus is
> going) since that seems to be the future...

Thank you for the information.

> I'll make one more comment: torrent support in MediaGoblin is
> something I really want for video, audio, etc. I'd really like for
> when uploading a video that there be a torrent option. The
> motivation is different than with peer to peer filesharing sites...
> it's more to provide a route to reduce hosting costs for sites that
> are also already hosting their own media.

I look forward to it!
eD2k URIs would be good also for individual files.

BitTorrent Live (may be useful for special occasions)
---------------
It is reminiscing to me another correspondence I read at RantMedia.ca
concerning to something that is called "BitTorrent Live" which is
another manner of streaming media instead of using one or a few
exclusive sources (servers), the broadcasting source is getting
assistance in bandwidth from other listeners (peers).

You may find it of use (I guess you are aware of it already).

In the following video, Bram suggests 99.9% load on the sharers (not the
original source) https://youtube.com/watch?v=hBswGE89Dg8 [Time: 1:30].
Title: BitTorrent's founder on creating a peer-to-peer live video
distribution model (by YammerInc).

_________________
Notes & Resources
http://live.bittorrent.com/
http://vimeo.com/31300649 (screen recording of bittorrent live)
http://gigaom.com/2012/02/13/bram-cohen-kill-tv/
http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/13/bittorrent-live/
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/02/14/bittorrent-live-efficient-p2p-video-streaming/
https://torrentfreak.com/bram-cohen-to-deliver-bittorrent-live-streaming-090916/

More: https://duckduckgo.com/?kj=g&t=salix&q=BitTorrent+Live+stream

* There was another video (BitTorrent Live - Bram Cohen) hosted at this
 address https://youtube.com/watch?v=tnHn29WCaJw [removed] - it had
 not much, only 3 screens displaying a ticking clock of 5 seconds
 delay with a few sentences by Bram.

> Not sure if that's useful, but there's my reply to this. Look forward
> to seeing more happen with Movim!

I think it surely was useful. Herein something that fundamentally may
be radically far from this discussion. Interesting, nonetheless.

Dot P2P (off-topic)
-------
In respond to a censorship of a certain website an idea called P2P DNS
gain popularity.

Some chatters at irc://irc.efnet.org/dns-p2p suggested another p2p
protocol which they defined as dhttp:// which is a hybrid of DHT [0]
peer detection technique and HTML files that are usually conveyed to us
through the HTTP protocol. Another suggestion which was wrapped with
dhttp:// at the same time was ed2ktp:// which is eD2k + HTTP (basically
sharing an HTML or MHT or MAF files with eMule with an HTML rendering
component).

It is currently being focused on .p2p, somewhat like .onion of Tor.

[0] BitTorrent’s Future? DHT, PEX and Magnet Links Explained
http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrents-future-dht-pex-and-magnet-links-explained-091120/

_________________
Notes & Resources
http://dot-p2p.org/index.php?title=Main_Page [not found]
https://github.com/DNS-P2P/
https://code.google.com/p/dns-p2p/
https://code.google.com/p/trust4/

* A popular initiating post on this was at: P2P Dns » Distributed DNS
 system http://p2pdns.baywords.com/2010/11/30/hello-world/ [not found]

* Maybe useful, but probably not here. I could not resist :-P

--
Proper English www.reddit.com/r/proper
4 teh lulz... http://email.is-not-s.ms