Re: Installing Debian 10.3 Python3

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: Installing Debian 10.3 Python3
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:19:27 +1000

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020, address@hidden wrote:

> I've been working on creating an installation guide for Python3 on the latest
> Debian 10.
>
> Not sure when I'd finish this, so I'm putting it up. Maybe it will help
> someone?
>
> (Also, which wiki should we be updating now? I think the plan was to switch
> over to a GNU or FSF wiki, but none of the pages are there yet and page
> creation permissions are a pain to get.)

Great stuff Andrew, this is very relevant to our release later this
week. The key place we need to update is:

https://mediagoblin.readthedocs.io/en/master/siteadmin/deploying.html

which are generated from:

mediagoblin/docs/source/siteadmin/deploying.rst

There's a ticket here that relates to the important work you're doing:

https://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/5593

Could we assign this one to you?

> # Core Dependencies.
> apt-get update
> apt-get install git-core python3 python3-dev virtualenv python3-virtualenv
> build-essential autoconf curl python3-lxml python3-pil python3-setuptools
> python3-pip
>
> # GStreamer Dependencies
> # Couldn't figure out how to disable gstreamer, so I just installed these.
> apt-get install python3-gst-1.0
> apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
> gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-libav
>
> # Install Node
> # The debian node packages were outdated, so I had to find a new link.
> curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_12.x | bash -
> apt-get install -y nodejs

Node is only required for installing the client-side JS packages we use. Did
you hit any actual
issues with the Debian stock NodeJS? I haven't hit any in the
Docker-debian-python3-sqlite dockerfile.

> # Build media goblin.
> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/mediagoblin.git
> ./bootstrap.sh
> ./configure --with-python3
> make

For our pending release, we're dropping --with-python3 and making that
the default - see updated deployment docs.

> # This replace the 'python -m setup.py install' I was trying to do.
> # I think there's a development install command Ben did that does this a
> better way?
> pip3 $(echo "print(' '.join(install_requires))" | python3 -i setup.py)

In my testing this shouldn't strictly be necessary, but I may well be
wrong. I think the command you're looking for is `bin/python setup.py
develop`?

Cheers,
Ben