mibble-users

Re: [Mibble-users] MIB Browser Problem

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Mibble-users] MIB Browser Problem
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:35:11 +0100

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 18:39, Dikshit Rasagna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Agreed that this will work if I modify the mib file to
> add Counter and IpAddress imports. But I have seen
> some few more parsers who handle the same without any
> modification required in the MIB file. I think we
> should also be able to parse the same file without any
> modifications bcos I have come across few more mib
> files which are using Counter and IpAddress without
> explicitly importing them in the module.

Actually, the Mibble 1.x series did have something
like this, but then it didn't have any import
mechanism at all so it was absolutely required.

Now, the way to implement something like this in
Mibble 2.x would be to have a "non-strict" parsing
mode, in which some semantical controls would be
relaxed. Typically when an undefined symbol is
encountered, one could try to search for the symbol
in one of the already imported MIB:s (where it is
usually found). There might also be other semantical
checks that one would like to relax, as Mibble can
be quite annoying from time to time. (Well, to be
perfectly honest, the main complaint up until now
has been that it isn't strict enough...)

I've added a future improvement request for this
issue. If someone feels like it, I invite you to
patch the sources to fix this one as I don't think
I'll have too much time to dedicate to Mibble in
the coming months...

# Bug 7113
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=7113

Cheers,