Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Solving the Pthreads issue

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Solving the Pthreads issue
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 23:18:38 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 9 May 2010 20:05, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> >> I found this snippet at the OpenMP site[1]:
> >>
> >> #include <omp.h>
> >> #include <stdio.h>
> >> int main() {
> >> #pragma omp parallel
> >> printf("Hello from thread %d, nthreads %d\n", omp_get_thread_num(),
> >> omp_get_num_threads());
[...]
> >> gcc -fopenmp hello.c -o hello.exe -lgomp -lpthread -static
> >>
> >> The same using the cross-gcc compiles but doesn't run in Windows, and
> >> there's no sensible error message.
[...]
> > What do you get if you run it under Wine?
> >
> > Do you see the "err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection" messages
> > that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread?
>
> Yes, I just installed wine and that's the error.

Okay, this is the expected problem.

Now we are at the point where we'll either have to patch libgomp
to work with static Pthreads-w32, as described earlier in this
thread. Or we'll have to build and use a shared Pthreads-w32
library.

> > And what about the "-static" option? Is it really needed to
> > compile the test program? What happens if you remove it?
>
> Actually, those options do nothing, just compiling with :
>
> i686-pc-mingw32-gcc -fopenmp hello.c -o hello.exe
>
> achieves the same result.

Okay. :-)

So I improved the test script and included it.

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/243f4942dc82

This might be a good test case for anyone trying to patch libgomp
accordingly.

Greets,

    Volker

--