[Mingw-cross-env-list] Some Library Build Questions

From: Thomas Dineen
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Some Library Build Questions
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:55:40 -0700

Gentle People:

     Looking for some ideas on the simplest ways to build
library packages for our own use with the MinGW Cross
Environment.

   Please note that I have reviewed the materials on your web
site entitled "Guidelines For Creating Packages" The materials
presented there seem focused on adding packages to the
cross environment.

     I am looking for guidance on building applications and
libraries with the Cross Environment tools, which would
not necessarily become part of the cross compile
environment.

1) My research has so far found the following
constructs, shown below. What others are required?

a) -- host
./configure --host i686-pc-mingw32

b) CHOST
CHOST=i686-pc-mingw32
export CHOST       --> Note: Required!!!!!
echo $CHOST

c) CROSS_PREFIX
CROSS_PREFIX=i686-pc-mingw32
export CROSS_PREFIX       --> Note: Required!!!!!
echo CROSS_PREFIX

    Several build attempts completed without errors
but produced libxxx.a files which failed to link to
the application! Am I missing some command line
switches or environment variables?

2) What about 32 bit versus 64 bit? This all runs 32
bit right?

3) Some libraries have a --static command line
parameter. These libraries should all be compiled
as static? With the -static parameter?

4) Beyond doing a link to a test application, what
tool will tell me that I have succeeded in producing
library of the proper format for MS execution?
File and objdump are my old favorites but do not
seem to be helping here.

Thanks for the help.
Thomas Dineen