Re: cross compile to MacOS

From: Volker Diels-Grabsch
Subject: Re: cross compile to MacOS
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 19:16:27 +0100

Dear All,

Thanks to Robert and Zack for explaining the situation so well, I
don't have much to add here from a technical point of view.

So instead let me add a more "historical" point of view: When I
started mingw-cross-env and renamed it to "MXE", which stands for
"M cross environment", I always had two "M"s in mind: MinGW and
MacOSX.

Moreover, I did have an actual software project (written in Qt) which
I needed to port to Windows as well as Mac.

But setting up cross compiling on Mac was so cumbersome that I only
cross-built the Windows version on a Debian system with MXE, and
compiled the Mac version natively.

On the other hand, there have been promising approaches at that time,
extracting stuff from the XCode packages and whatnot.  Perhaps there
are still people out there having some (limited) success with that.
But the amount of time to get into that stuff, and to make it working
- this was to much time for myself at that time, and for all others
who tried later as well.

So if you think you have enough spare time and would like to break
that nut, feel encouraged to try!  Extending MXE to MacOSX would be a
huge achievement.  Just be warned that this might be a lot harder than
it may seem, and that it might even turn out to be impossible to keep
working in the long run.

Regards,
Volker

--