[Monotone-devel] Re: initial questions

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: initial questions
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:50:08 -0600

graydon hoare wrote:

- Currently checkout simply clobbers any files that are in the way, and I'm wondering if instead it might just leave them as they are rather than doing something potentially destructive.

it doesn't do this currently, but a patch would be welcome. I think it might be worth parameterizing with a hook function (adding an entry to lua.hh and lua.cc as well) but otherwise it sounds like a sensible thing to add.

It looks relatively simple, minus the lua hook which I don't (yet) know
anything about but
I'll see what I can see. When you say parameterized what do you mean exactly?
Something
like a --noclobber switch perhaps?

I'm currently having problems with getting a clean 0.11 version of the source
working
properly... it compiles fine but fails a bunch of the tests... I did send you
the
testsuite.log offline the other day so please let me know if you have any ideas
on what
the problem is.

- Another thought I've had recently about the .cvs, .svn, MT type of directories is that they might be handled better by a file in my home

 > dir (say in a ~/.monotone/ directory)

I think this feature, while possible, would confuse matters more than it would help. my experience has been that people like self contained metadata. they like it to sit in a directory closely associated with the project.

You're probably right... the other post about copying working trees around had
some good
points I just didn't remember. FWIW subversion has .svn directories similar to
the cvs
ones and I'm sure they've had some long discussions about the idea too and it
seems to
have prevailed.

thanks for your interest, let us know if there are more things which you'd prefer to see.

Absolutely!

Derek
Derek Scherger                         Echologic Software Corporation
phone: 403.606.0459                            Bankers Hall RPO 22051
fax:   403.243.5400                      Calgary, AB, Canada  T2P 4J1
mailto:address@hidden                   http://www.echologic.com