[Monotone-devel] Re: collection versus branch

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: collection versus branch
Date: 06 Apr 2004 12:43:57 +0200

graydon hoare writes:

 >> [How to] group several branches into one collection?]

 > do you mean just for distribution ("a collection with
 > multiple branches in it"), or for checking out a bunch of
 > "related" branch heads into different directories with a
 > single command?

I think, adding support for distributing several branches at
once (though they are not in one hierarchy) would be nice to
have. But of course, this feature would make a lot more
sense, if Monotone were really able to handle multiple
branches as one, like CVS's "CVSROOT/modules" allowed to.

Say, for instance, I'd like to distribute a software, which
*included* Monotone or parts of Monotone. Then it would be
very nice to be able to say "net.venge.monotone is a
sub-branch of to.cryp.vc-tool-suite" and have Monotone
fetch, check-out, and generally handle that branch of part
of my project, but keep it an independent branch!

Mostly, this feature would be nice to "automatically"
include other people's libraries. I am aware that netsync
plus some clever shell scripts will do just that, so it's
probably no big deal. Just think it would be nice.

Peter