Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:04:04 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 03:39:20PM +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
> What we are talking about here is situations where files under
> revision control are sparse in a directory tree. As an example,
> consider putting your home directory under revision control for files
> like ~/.profile or ~/.emacs. In such a scenario, commands like list
> unknown are pretty much useless right now (18.1 in my case) since they
> walk the entire home directory tree.

So, it seems to me like when you say "list unknown" is useless here,
that's because, well, the fundamental operation of trying to figure
out what should be put under version control by looking for files that
aren't already, _that's_ useless in this situation.

In other words, I'm not quite sure what you would want "list unknown"
to do instead, that _would_ be useful.  I think my reaction to this
situation would be, just to not use "list unknown".  (In fact, I tend
not to use it very often anyway, because I tend to accumulate clutter
in my working copy just like this...)

How could "list unknown" behave that would be useful in this
situation?

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra