Re: [Monotone-devel] linus talk on git

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] linus talk on git
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:43:36 -0700

On 5/18/07, Matthew Gregan <address@hidden> wrote:
At 2007-05-18T04:13:31-0700, J Decker wrote:
> There may be some issues with 'guarantee that what I put in I get back
> out' also, in respect to line endings.... I know there was some discussion
> about monotone being 'helpful' with line ending translation, which it
> really shouldn't do...

monotone absolutely does not convert line endings, charsets, or anything
else by default.  What you put into the system is exactly what you get out.

There used to be an option to enable line ending and charset conversions, it
was off by default, it never particularly worked well, and there wasn't much
evidence that it was even used, so it was completely removed in 0.33.

Yes, I thought I remembered this at the summit. I fully agree with
Linus here. What I put in should be what I get out. Platform-specific
line-endings should be done away with and/or text editors should be
able to deal with any type of line ending.

Then again, some people (*cough* MS *cough*) don't play well with
others. In cases where you need a specific line ending and it's
different than in the repo I'd suggest allowing some kind of lua
hooks, with some examples which show people how to do things in the
least destructive manner.

--
Justin Patrin