Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:14:24 +0200

Paul Crowley wrote:
Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
A wise man once said: Premature optimization is the root of all
evil.

It was Tony Hoare, though Knuth popularized it.  See:

http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/v7i24_fallacy.html

Interesting. I didn't mean to start a flamewar, I just meant to support Graydon's previous post:

"Graydon" == Graydon Hoare <address@hidden> writes:
Some "style" issues: I wrote monotone for flexibility, debug-ability,
cryptographic integrity, experimentation. We've rearranged and
replaced subsystems several times over (field-upgrading our databases
as we went) as we were learning. This is important to me, but it
imposed a major set of across-the-board speed penalties: notably that
the disk format, network format and memory formats are all different,
and none is optimized at all for constant factors. Lots of
transformation and re-verification. Git is written in "performance
above all else" style, but it's much more rigid in its shared data
structure and much less forgiving about having its midsection
field-upgraded. There's also the overhead of my quirky C++ style vs.
kernel-hacker C style. I don't like my code twiddling pointers a lot.
I like a lot of automatic assertions. Git style feels to me like
asking for memory faults.  Maybe I'm a bit of a wuss.

No, Graydon, you're not.

Cheers,

-- Ulf