Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 03:43:35 -0700

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 09:03:21PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> However the project policy stuff works out I certainly hope that a
> similar branch life-cycle will be possible. I actually wonder if this is
> where we should be starting with the policy stuff, since it's a feature
> that everyone seems to want, myself included. i.e. suppose we build in
> some sort of support for branch life-cycle support and punt on the
> permissions stuff for a while, if that's even possible.

At least as far as I'm concerned, this has always been the Point of
policy branches :-).  The problem is that right now we start with a
set of branch names ("net.venge.monotone*"), those identify a set of
certs, which then identify a set of revisions.  With policy branches,
you can't go from branch names to certs except by first looking at
some revisions, but you don't know which revisions to look at except
from the certs and branch names... which is how the trust stuff gets
dragged in.

> I don't think there's really very much going on with the project policy
> stuff at the moment though. There are some ideas floating around but not
> much else. I didn't follow the discussions at the summit all that
> closely though so I don't know where they ended up.

Yeah, I got swallowed up by grad school after getting back from the
summit, so basically haven't done any monotone stuff at all since
then... I might have more time in a few weeks once the quarter is
over.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen