Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 13:06:47 +0200

Hi,

Justin Patrin wrote:
Except that, as has been said many times, there is no real third-party
time.

Well, netsync would probably fail to optimize away unneeded revisions if the clocks of the two peers are more that a day apart. In the worst case, that should result in a larger merkle trie than really necessary. Not that much of a problem, IMO.

While the certs for revs *should* have the same time this isn't
necessarily true. Of course this would probably mean we just transmit
a few extra certs or something.

Yup.

Perhaps it's better to limit by depth, i.e. pulling the last 10 revisions.

For sync, it's probably not even necessary to give a limit. Instead both peers should exchange their gap starts and endings prior to building the merkle trie - which they can then build depending on what gaps they want to fill.

Honestly, I didn't think too hard about the netsync part of the story. I'm trying to get a local database and workspace flying, despite having only parts of the repository. As soon as that works, we can talk about netsync and optimizing it for partial repositories.

Regards

Markus