Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 20:05:34 -0700

On 5/28/07, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:
Justin Patrin wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by a filer? I've never heard that term
> applied to computers and naturally assumed you meant a file server.
> What is better about working on the (remote, slow) filer than working
> locally and syncing often?

Presumably something like http://www.openfiler.com or
http://www.netapp.com/products/storage-systems/enterprise-storage/index.html

Ok, I had found one of those links when doing a quick search but
assumed there was more to it. That looks like just a normal file
server to me.

but yeah there's certainly something to be said for keeping your work
database on a *local* fast, big, cheap, disk.

Hrm, or is it a *workspace* that's on that filer? That also sounds like
something that would be better on a local disk but I can imagine various
corporate policies that would require it be on the filer.

I can't imagine one that doesn't include some kind of petty "all your
data is belong to us" kind of policy. This defeats the purpose of a
distributed system by forcing you to put *all* of your files on a
central server...what a pain.

--
Justin Patrin