Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn log with -b?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn log with -b?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 01:07:27 -0700

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 01:37:01PM +1000, William Uther wrote:
> Well, yes and no.  You've solved the immediate problem, but I still
> think the question is a valid one:  Why isn't a -b <branch> argument
> to mtn log a synonym for -r h:<branch>?

Because -b consistently means something else (i.e., pretends that the
current workspace is actually in branch <whatever> for purposes of the
current command). However, this is stupid, because everyone always
expects it to mean different particular things for every command
(checkout, log, diff, etc. etc.).  This is why I keep arguing for
tearing it out entirely... :-)

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."