Re: [Monotone-devel] usher 0.99 release (name-based virtual hosting for

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] usher 0.99 release (name-based virtual hosting for monotone)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 00:09:23 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:05:33 -0500, Hendrik Boom
<address@hidden> said:

hendrik> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 02:04:46PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
hendrik> >
hendrik> > I guess now comes the inevitable flood of stupid questions as i try
hendrik> > make sense of the documentation.
hendrik> >
hendrik>
hendrik> Well, I have usher running, and depending on how I write the
hendrik> configuration file it reports I have one or two servers, called
"write",
hendrik> the one I want to start with, and "local", the one inherited form the
hendrik> example in the documentation.
hendrik>
hendrik> But when I try to sync with "write" from another computer, I geet
hendrik> problems:
hendrik>
hendrik> address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$ mtn sync 4691://topoi.pooq.com/write
hendrik> enter passphrase for key ID address@hidden (ad968be7...):
hendrik> mtn: connecting to 4691://topoi.pooq.com/write
hendrik> mtn: Received warning from usher: Cannot fork server.
hendrik> mtn: peer 4691://topoi.pooq.com/write IO terminated connection in
working state (error)
hendrik> mtn: error: I/O failure while talking to peer
4691://topoi.pooq.com/write, disconnecting
hendrik> address@hidden:~/write/Melinda$

In your configuration file, you have a logdir setting.  You might want
to look at the log file there (write.log, I believe).

hendrik> Can I get usher to tell me what the command it uses really
hendrik> is, so I can try it in isolation?

Basically, if we say that {monotone} and {local} are the values of the
settings with corresponding names, it does this:

        {monotone} server --bind=127.0.0.1:{randomport} {local}

hendrik> Or does it misreport a successful fork with an invalid
hendrik> monotone command as a failed fork?  Or ... (fill in the real
hendrik> explanation here, please?)

Well, an invalid command of some sort WOULD result in a failed fork,
so that's definitely a plausible explanation.  Check the log in
{logdir}.

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/