Re: [Monotone-devel] usher 0.99 release (name-based virtual hosting for

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] usher 0.99 release (name-based virtual hosting for monotone)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 02:26:18 -0500

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 12:09:23AM +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:05:33 -0500, Hendrik Boom
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> In your configuration file, you have a logdir setting.  You might want
> to look at the log file there (write.log, I believe).

Yes.. There is oe now.  I stopped looking because for a while there
wasn't one, but one has now showed up.  It seems to be asking me for a
passphrase for key ID address@hidden {599fffe...}

Presumably, monotone wants a passphrase wo start up in server mode.

What's the recommended way to provide one nowadays?  The method
involving the get_passphrase hook that the tutorial says is deprecated
because of insecurity?  It does have to be available when there's no
user logged in on the server machine.

> hendrik> Or does it misreport a successful fork with an invalid
> hendrik> monotone command as a failed fork?  Or ... (fill in the real
> hendrik> explanation here, please?)
>
> Well, an invalid command of some sort WOULD result in a failed fork,
> so that's definitely a plausible explanation.  Check the log in
> {logdir}.

Well, as long as the monotone process gets started, even if it
immediately complains and exits, the fork itself has succeeded, so at
the very least it's a misleading error message.  But at this point
that's just a quibble.

Thanks.

-- hendrik