nano-devel

Re: Nano 4.6 eats this line

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Nano 4.6 eats this line
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 12:09:04 +0100

Op 14-12-2019 om 22:38 schreef Seb:
> I have stumbled upon what seems to be a bug in Nano 4.6 (no patch applied).
> Please find attached a one-line example file. When it is opened in an
> 80-column
> terminal (be it XTerm or URXvt),
>
> * pressing <Tab> at the beginning of the line (or when the cursor is on
>   the first letter, "p") makes the line disappear;

When you then press <Backspace>, does the line reappear?
And when you undo the <Tab> instead (with <Esc> U)?

> * adding a character anywhere on the line except on the first column
>   makes the line disappear.

Again, does <Backspace> bring the line back?  Or has it really been eaten and
is it gone?

> The characters on this line are from a TeX file (which I was writing when I
> noticed the bug); they are all from the ASCII set; my locale est latin1.

Sorry, I cannot reproduce.  Not even when I compile nano with --disable-utf8
and with the locale and the terminal's locale set to nl_NL.iso88591, nor when
using --break and --auto.

Is your nano compiled with --disable-utf8?  (See output of 'nano --version'.)

Do you have your terminal's tab size set to something other than the default?

Can you reproduce the bug also when running nano with --ignore?

Your example file is in DOS format (the line ends with 0x0d 0x0a).  Is that
correct?  Or is it an artifact of sending it by email?  If the former, does
the bug also occur when you remove the 0x0d first (by using --noconvert and
typing <Del> on the ^M)?

Benno