nano-devel

Re: Nano 4.6 eats this line

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Nano 4.6 eats this line
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 16:08:00 +0100

Op 15-12-2019 om 14:44 schreef Seb:
> No it doesn't: with -I, all symptoms disappear.

Okay.  Then please start commenting out groups of settings in your
~/.nanorc file until you find the setting that triggers the bug.

Because even with your settings, I cannot reproduce the problem.

Also be sure to first move /etc/nanorc somewhere else, so that any
settings in that file do not interfere.

> ~> grep . .nanorc | grep -v \# | sort

It would have been better not to use 'sort' -- the order matters
sometimes, like for the 'color' commands: surely they come after
the 'syntax' commands.

> bind M-N linenumbers all
> bind M-, recordmacro all
> bind M-. runmacro all

(These functions only exist in the main menu, so it would be better
to use 'main' instead of 'all'.)

> bind ^S " all

This must be a pasting error, because I know you ought to have
  bind ^S "^[" all
there instead, with ^[ a literal ESC character.

Could you attach a gzipped version of your .nanorc file, stripped
from comment lines, so we can be sure that it doesn't get modified
in any way in transit.

> set emptyline
> set historylog
> set jumpyscrolling

(Wow.  There really are people who prefer the half-screen scrolling? :) )

>> Do you have your terminal's tab size set to something other than the default?
>
> Yes: the default is (I think) 8 spaces and I use Tab = 4 spaces.

And when you switch the terminal back to the default tab size of 8?
Does the problem then still occur?

> As above with -I (is this the same?), the problem then disappears.

Yes, -I and --ignore are equivalent.  See the man page.

Benno