nano-devel

Re: support for RTL text directly in the terminal?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: support for RTL text directly in the terminal?
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 12:05:16 +0100

Op 12-02-2020 om 21:19 schreef Mahyar Abbaspour:
> Looks like I didn't. I think at that time, nano was using svn. I converted
> the repo from svn to git but looks like I never pushed my work there.

Do you still have the repo?  Can you still push it?  I am curious to see
what amount of work would be needed to get this to work in nano.

> I guess Knosole (the terminal emulator of the KDE desktop) supports RTL to
> some extent because of the Qt toolkit.

One of these days I'll download a KDE-based distro and see in Konsole does
any better than mlterm.

> I think the most promising one is gnome-terminal which added support for
> bidirectional text in their 3.33.3 release [1]. At least, it does the shaping
> phase right.

The support has been added to VTE, so all terminal emulators based on it
(like Xfce-terminal) will get this support for bidi text.

Benno