Re: [Nel] Dynamic load balancing?

From: Jared Mark
Subject: Re: [Nel] Dynamic load balancing?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:43:59 -0600

Okay, so what you're saying is basically this...

By seperating the services, you can have a cluster of machines, each running
different services, and thus, keeping the load down across the board.  You
would have a single system, for example, handling just combat resolution,
and you would have another system that would keep track of the database...
or on an even more molecular level (assuming you have a very large world
with huge database demands) a database service that is strictly dedicated to
handling certain types of objects (like dynamic world objects such as rocks
and such, as opposed to character objects like their posessions in their
backpacks for example).

You would have other servers running the service managers for the AI of the
monsters, etc, etc, etc...

So instead of dividing up the world into geographical sectors and having a
single system handle each sector... you would divide the world up into
different processes, and have each system handle the specific process for
the entire world.

Let me know if I'm getting pretty close to what you're trying to say here.
;)  My only question on the whole thing would be... what happens if you run
into a problem where activity on a process gets to be too much for a
server... would you be forced to upgrade that server?  Or could you
theoretically split the process between two systems?  (running the same
serice twice in the same cluster, on different systems).