Re: [Nel] Dynamic load balancing?

From: Nahuel Greco
Subject: Re: [Nel] Dynamic load balancing?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:19:04 -0300

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:35:01 +0100
Vincent Archer <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't have the exact split, which is deeply tied into game design,
> but you'll have chiefly:
> - access services (who translate between client protocol and service
>   requests)
> - PC manager services
> - combat services

I must switch to combat mode in the game?, i mean, when i combat, the scenary
and the gameplay changes, like in the PSX rpg games?

> - item services
> - databaser service (only one)
> - pathfinding services
> - bots service (AI)
> - magic services (maybe, I'm not 100% sure if these aren't managed by the
>   other services as exceptions to their rules)

If the bots service want to pathfind to some location, they must ask to the
pathfinding service?, and the pathfinding service must ask to the "state
tracking" ?, suposse that i have a bot script, running in the bot service,
in some routine i must see if i can walk to some location, on the nort, on the
 south, etc, to decide later where i will walk.. then.. each bot script
get_is_reachable() function will trigger a query to another service, and must
wait the response of that service  to continue the code execution.

for thousands of scripts, that will be too slow, without thinking in the
"wait, is your query is in the queque" issue.

and btw, what scripting language do you plan to use for the code that will
execute in thousand of instances..?

> then some geographic-based services
>
> - ecology managers

That will instantiate, for example.. more gold to keep the economy ok ?