Re: [Nmh-workers] Stanford disliking my emails -- update + question

From: Andy Bradford
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Stanford disliking my emails -- update + question
Date: 22 Apr 2015 20:31:13 -0600

Thus said Ken Hornstein on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:29:45 -0400:

> Thirdly ...  I think it's  ridiculous that Stanford's  anti-spam rules
> trawl through Received headers (which  are defined as being free-form)
> and look for suspicious hostnames  when you've already sent that email
> through your email provider and it  has a valid DKIM header; gmail has
> already certified that the email  came from an authenticated user, why
> does Stanford care what your local hostname is?

I too initially thought that their  anti-spam rules were a bit draconian
to care whether the HELO host is localhost.localdomain or any other user
provided  piece  of  information,  however,  after  some  reflection,  I
realized that  they may  have a bayesian  filter that  has automatically
assigned a  99% spam  probability to the  word ``localhost.localdomain''
based on the statistical influence of past spam messages containing it.

Of course, I'm  giving them the benefit  of the doubt of  having such an
intelligently designed anti-spam mechanism... :-)

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000055385994