Re: nmh 1.8RC2, xlbiff, and $HOME

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: nmh 1.8RC2, xlbiff, and $HOME
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 13:44:12 +0000

Hi David,

> I'd like to get Ralph's take on what we should do.

Thanks.  If my suggestion to Stephen of unsetting HOME works and is
acceptable to him then I suggest we don't change nmh for this release.

> > A further documentation issue: mh-profile(5) does not specify the
> > treatment of a relative Path.  I expected it to be relative to the
> > directory of the profile file, but it seems to actually be relative
> > to HOME.
>
> Right, it's relative to HOME.  I'll add this clarification to the man
> page:
>     A relative Path is relative to the user's $HOME directory.
> unless there's another suggestion.

As HOME needn't be set how about mh_profile(5) saying

         Locates nmh transactions in directory “Mail”.
+        A relative path starts from the user's home directory.
         This is the only mandatory profile entry.
         (profile, no default)

I see the ENVIRONMENT section doesn't mention HOME.
Perhaps,

    HOME  If set, it is used as the user's home directory.
          If not set then getpwuid(3)'s pw_dir is used.

--
Cheers, Ralph.