Re: nmh 1.8RC2, xlbiff, and $HOME

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: nmh 1.8RC2, xlbiff, and $HOME
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 13:20:16 +0000

Hi Stephen,

> I have investigated the failure of the xlbiff tests with nmh 1.8RC2.

Thanks.

> $ printf 'Path: /tmp\n' > /tmp/mh-profile-minimal
> $ HOME= MH=/tmp/mh-profile-minimal /usr/bin/mh/mhparam path

My suggestion for a quick fix to try is to not have HOME in the
environment so getpwuid(3) is used.

    $ HOME= MH=$PWD/mh_profile mhparam path
    mhparam: environment variable HOME is empty
    $
    $ env -u HOME MH=$PWD/mh_profile mhparam path
    /tmp

> This is a regression.  HOME is used only to set the default profile
> file to "$HOME/.mh_profile".  But nmh doesn't need HOME if MH is set.

I think nmh *as a whole* does need HOME to be non-empty if it's set.

--
Cheers, Ralph.