nss-mysql-users

RE: [Nss-mysql-users] Cannot start mysql with nss-mysql installed

From: Dan Slatford
Subject: RE: [Nss-mysql-users] Cannot start mysql with nss-mysql installed
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:55:23 +0100

> Are you using nss_db? I very much doubt that would be the cause of the

> problem if you're not.

I am not, removing those references from nsswitch.conf makes -
predictably - no difference.

> Most have you checked the file permissions on all of the mysql data
> dirs, files, config files? If they are owned by a user that only
exists in
> the mysql passwd table it may fail.

Yep, I like to think I'm not this stupid anyway :) There's only a couple
of test users in the db right now, totally unrelated to anything.

> Is there any conflict with a user being listed in both /etc/passwd and

> mysql?

Nope.

> You dont have anything odd in your /etc/pwdb.conf do you?

Don't have a pwdb.conf file

> Other than these possibiities I cannot think of anything that would
cause
> the problem.

> Jason Clifford

Nor can I :( I have this nagging feeling that if the source of the
problems found, I'm going to be kicking myself, but I've gone over the
simple procedure of installation and configuration again and again and
again, and cannot see anywhere I've gone wrong. If mysql is started
before modifying nsswitch.conf - the whole thing works perfectly too.

--
dan