Re: Shared memory interface to Octave

From: N Smethurst
Subject: Re: Shared memory interface to Octave
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:08:21 +0100

Hi John

I've been using sockets in my application (kvisualiser.free.fr). I've found it
generally takes only about 10-15ms to base64 encode in XML, transfer, and
then decode a 150x150 point polydata surface (703KB including base64
encoding). Admitedly this is on an Athlon 1400. However, the amount of data
for a GUI would generally be far less than this, so I would imagine that the
resulting time lag would be negligible.

Out of interest, what kind of application are you aiming to write? I was
invisaging starting at some point a front end to Octave as a companion to
KVisualiser. If our ideas were similar, perhaps there could be a
collaboration.

Nick